Google

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Last comic standing

So the Last Comic Standing audition is taking place in New York City at Caroline's as I write this. I debated calling out sick from work and standing online with the rest of those jackasses for a shot at national exposure and a bonified TV credit. With the birth of my son and me about to be laid off from work at the end of the month I was even more inclined to swallow what little pride I had remaining and completely expose myself and my image to the whims of the all powerful reality TV show editors. In the end I chose to take my ass to work.

I know some of the people that did choose to brave the cold and wait online and I sincerely wish them the best of luck. I think that amongst the toxic waste floating in this massive sewage system we call the NY comedy scene, there is a strong contingent of undiscovered talent that truly deserves the opportunity to take their careers to the next level. But for every gem there are scores of worthless pieces of granite taking up space and operating under the delusion that someone will be willing to pay money for what amounts to be a plain old rock. I don't know how it was in the 80's during the golden age of comedy but nowadays it seems rare to come across individuals that take comedy serious as an art, and really want to take the time to improve their craft. Instead, every open micer with 7 minutes of bullshit observations and 2 minutes of cringe like humor thinks they should be on the fast track to a development deal. Show Business has an open check book for the right people but like Todd Lynn says, when it comes to the industry they don't know shit, but they done seen everything. I've just begun to scratch the surface of who I want to be onstage and I'll be damned if I'm going to showcase my burgeoning abilities to any decision makers while I'm still in the early stage of the evolution of my comedic voice.

Comedy now has more opportunities than ever before yet that still doesn't mean we all should jump on each boat sailing out the harbor for the sake of exposure. All exposure isn't good as I'm sure no one in their right mind wishes to be exposed to HIV. I was having an discussion with a fellow comic who I think is everything you should aspire to be as a comic, funny, provocative and unique. We were debating the merits of the litany of comics appearing on VH1 commenting on pop culture on the many shows they have dedicated to dumbing down the American population.

"Dude..if you get the chance to get on 'Best Week Ever' don't be stupid..take it. Its a credit and it will get you road work" he says.

While I don't doubt that, that's not the path I want to take; appearing on some bubble-gum TV show as a brainless talking head who drops funny little quips on what Lindsey Lohans dog ate for breakfast. There have been some really funny and talented comics that have appeared on these shows and honestly every time I see one of them I want to smack my dick against the TV monitor as I'm so disgusted with what they are doing. I'm not in none of their shoes and when push comes to shove you have to pay your bills. Realistically if I was in a bad position and offered the chance I'd have to suck it up, lube my butt-hole for the rape I'm to receive and show my face on one of those shows. But what happened to being so funny, so original, so dedicated to the art of comedy that a couple of hundred bucks to quip about Trumps hair piece just doesn't seem like a viable career move? Leaving Sals Comedy hole last night a few comics and myself were walking in front of a young couple who just left the Comedy Cellar.

Says Girl to Boy: Yea I think that last guy was on Best Week Ever.

Boy to Girl: What show is that?

Girl to Boy: You know that show on VHI where they put all those dumb comics on to talk about stupid stuff you see on TV.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe Palen said...

Totally agreed on the glut of VH1 "Best [Whatever] Ever" shows, and the not-so-clever comments from the talking heads. I wish they'd let the content speak for itself... that is, if they _must_ continue the endless stream of countdown shows.

Even though I did "stoop" to standing in the cattle call for Last Comic Standing (in Hollywood), I'm not rusing to the auditions for VH1 talking heads.

I still have _some_ artistic integrity.

It may not be a bold line-in-the-sand, but it's a line, nonetheless.

--- Joe

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Bailey said...

When it comes to LCS, I say do it if you feel you are ready...as for VH1, do it only if you are broke and desperate. Even then I dont know if I would do it.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home